Coffee is one of the most popular beverages consumed worldwide and is grown in a region found between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn in a region known as the “Bean Belt”. The “Bean Belt" ranges from North America, Central America, South America, Africa and finally Asia (Picture above: Sundown on coffee plantation field).
Although there are about 140 different species of coffee plants, only 2 species make up the majority of the world’s coffee production. Coffea arabica (commonly known as Arabica coffee) accounts for approximately 75% of the world’s production, while Coffea canephora (commonly known as Robusta coffee) accounts for the remaining 25%.
Grown at high altitude, Arabica coffee is floral or fruity in character, quite acidic, and with a low caffeine content. It is usually grown in subtropical regions in the 16-24 degrees latitude range and equatorial regions with latitudes less than 10 degrees. Robusta Coffee, on the other hand, is characterized by a more intense bitter taste and stronger body, and usually grows at lower altitudes.